The Center for Independent Living Carmichael House is the Lead Organisation in the European Network on Independent Living (ENIL) West.
One of the key activities has been establishment and development of the geographical region of west Europe including the following countries:
- Czech Republic
- United Kingdom
Other key CIL CMH European Activities include:
- Development of a youth element of ENIL, Young ENIL.
- Development of information pamphlets and training material on the UN Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities
- Organisation of the ENIL General Assembly
- Preparation of peer learning workshops for ENIL members in Strasbourg
- Follow Up to the Strasbourg Freedom Drive 2011: liasing with MEPs, drafting questions to the European Commission
- Pursuing a complaint to the European Commission on the Free Movement of Workers with Disabilities and the Free Movement of the Personal Assistance Service
Strasbourg Freedom Drive 2011
The Strasbourg Freedom Drive is a grass roots rights based supranational level awareness raising and lobbying campaign.
The Freedom Drive took place from the 12th - 15th September 2011. http://www.youtube.com/embed/6dFXwnU-dOs"
Your main contact for the Freedom Drive is Nina Byrne. Nina may be contacted by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 01 8730455.
ENIL Campaign - STOP THE DIFFERENCE
As a part of Strasbourg Freedom Drive 2009 a signature campaign on Personal Assistance becoming part of European law was launched by European Network on Independent Living (ENL). As stated in the Article 19 of the UN Convention on the Rights of People with Disabilities, governments must stop the difference in unequal conditions, stop institutionalization, stop state created dependency and ensure Independent Living for disabled people. Article 19 says that all disabled people, not just a minority, should have access to Personal Assistance as a human right. Personal Assistance must become a legal right and must not be means tested.
ENIL urges the governments and the European Parliament to:
- Act now: Stop the difference, Stop segregation.
- Human Rights for all
- Personal Assistance for all
- Make article 19 of the Convention reality
- Start consulting with organisations run and controlled by disabled people with experience in Independent Living