Every day thousands of people with disabilities benefit from services provided directly by CILs* including:
- Personal Assistance Service (PAS). The Center for Independent Living was the pioneer of PAS in Ireland, having introduced it here in the early 1990s. With PAS its the person with the disability (the 'Leader') that directs or leads the service - the Personal Assistant reports directly to the Leader.
- Transport: CILs provide accessible transport throughout the country.
- Lifeskills training - the management of personal affairs - taught through learning by doing methods to prepare and enable people with disabilities to live independently.
- Home maintenance - from household repairs, to gardening to cleaning all aspects of maintaining a home are catered for.
- Peer support - CILs are run by people with disabilities themselves who can act as mentors and peer supports for other people with disabilities - some CILs have peer support groups who meet regularly
- Training services for CIL members and Personal Assistants.
* Services provided vary between CILs